The first 60 years from facts compiled by Lion Skippy Brooks.The Wrentham Lions Club was chartered on April 22, 1941.
The 1st money raised was the clambake on August 10, 1941; netting a profit of $259.33. This money was used on the Club’s 1st project, the building of the Girl Scout Camp in the town forest.
The Club sponsored several bond drives, built a pick-up shelter for soldiers and sailors on the Common and made a donation to Sturdy Hospital of $250 to enable Wrentham residents to have a $30/week deduction from their hospital bill.
1943 was also the year of the 1st ‘Father and Sons Night’. Red Sox Baseball player, Ted Williams, attends meeting handing out baseballs.
1st Lions Club in the state to sponsor X-ray survey for tuberculosis in a five-day period. 1,128 persons of the town registered, approximately 80% of adult population in 1947.
Made donations to Massachusetts Eye Research Fund for its inception in 1953 and continues to this day.
Started Nurses Scholarship in 1953 and enhance the scope to include Health profession careers.
Santa Claus visits to needy children began on Christmas Even in 1953, average 200 gifts a year and continue today. Contributions each year by individual Lions.
Christmas Party for Wrentham Senior Citizens. Over 200 residents attend this annual Holiday Dinner.
The start of the Club’s traditional Wood Choppers Ball. A time for Wrentham elite to learn several skills, cutting wood, doubled cross-saws, axe contest and home-made food contest. This event continues today.
In November 1965, Club held the 3rd free Glaucoma Clinic for Wrentham residents. Three hundred persons were examined over a 3-day period.